A unique experience to dip your hands and feet in the grey clays of the southeastern Hungarian plains.
August 13th-21st - 9 days in all with a lot to learn and some great conversations about simple living and sustainable life will be tossed into the mix:
- Day 1 – Intro to cobbing: finding the right clay, how to make a strong cob mix, sensory judgement of the right proportions for different uses;
- Day 2 – Repairs of the exterior of a cob home, one handful at a time with an artistic touch;
- Day 3-4 – Finishing the plaster work in preparation for whitewashing;
- Day 5 – Field trip! Spend the morning at the Ópusztaszer Memorial Park studying natural homes of yesteryear – the afternoon and evening is yours to explore the city of Szeged or take a thermal bath at Anna Fürdő at your own pace;
- Day 6 – Art inside the home – decorating a wall surface with cob and mirrors;
- Day 7-8 – Relearn the old technique of whitewashing – beautification, protection from the elements and sanitation all in a few coats;
- Day 9 – Finishing touches, clean-up, closing campfire.
The price can't be beat - "Have an adventurous time for only $370 USD (approximately €290)" -
this includes 2 cooked meals a day plus a stocked pantry for you to cook your own breakfast, accommodation for 10 nights and all instruction by Cheryl and Roland Magyar.
Maximum 5 people - a not for profit workshop, just covering restoration expenses and gluten-free food.
Find more about the workshop right here!